As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. On behalf of the German Government, GIZ currently is implementing a large number of projects in Lao PDR in two priority areas: rural development and sustainable economic development. For further information, please visit www.giz.de/laos.
GIZ is currently implementing the EU Switch Asia II Luang Prabang – Handle with Care Project. The objective of the project is to support the UNESCO World Heritage town Luang Prabang to be and remain a sustainable tourism destination by improving sustainable production and consumption in the public and private tourism sector. To this end the project is strengthening the environmental management capacities of the public and private sector, supports the sustainability and inclusiveness of the tourism value chain and improves responsible and sustainable tourism destination-wide. The two tourism sector associations in Luang Prabang are important stakeholders in the project. However, they currently lack staff and are run by their respective board of directors. Therefore a dedicated staff for professional office management is needed.
The European Chamber of Commerce & Industry (ECCIL) in Lao PDR is the sole representative organization for European businesses in Lao PDR and is planning to increase its presence in Luang Prabang, one of the main tourist centers of Lao PDR by the setting up of a representative office. ECCIL has a longstanding and extensive cooperation with the Lao National Chamber of Commerce & Industry (LNCCI). Supported by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), LNCCI operates a provincial subsidiary in Luang Prabang and through its SME Service Center provides support services especially for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises. Amongst other programs, GIZ is currently implementing the Luang Prabang – Handle with Care-project. All three organisations share a history of good cooperation and decided to further combine their individual strengths in Luang Prabang.
GIZ and ECCIL jointly agree to share one position with each 50% finical contribution. This will create important synergy effects between the GIZ Luang Prabang – Handle with Care Project and ECCIL. The advisor could transfer information about Luang Prabang – Handle with Care into the ECCIL and vice versa.
Therefore GIZ and ECCIL are looking for one qualified candidate to fill the following position of:
GIZ Officer for Tourism Business Associations in Luang Prabang (50%)
Coordinator for ECCIL Luang Prabang Chapter (50%)
Areas of Responsibility:
▪ Managing day to day business of the Luang Prabang Travel Agent Association (LUTA), and Luang Prabang Hotel and Restaurant Association (LHRA)
▪ Contact point for members and non-members of the Business Associations in the tourism sector in Luang Prabang and for the project “Luang Prabang – Handle with Care”
▪ Assist in organising events of the associations and the project, i.e. writing of Lao and English official invitations, writing of official letters, delivering of invitations in person, preparing and managing participants’ lists, and coordination of service providers.
▪ Entering and maintaining data of members for LUTA and LHRA (contact management)
▪ Updating website and facebook page of LUTA; and if applicable at a later stage LHRA
▪ Communicate with members and non-members personally and through written communication (official letters, email, social media, visits etc.)
▪ Prepare short reports in Lao and English language
▪ Translation support for the work of the Luang Prabang – Handle with Care project with the business associations and tourism department
▪ Distinctly increased interaction between ECCIL and its current members in Luang Prabang and acquisition of new member companies
▪ Support the liaison of ECCIL members with the public sector and other private sector organisations
▪ Support advocacy and other activities in close cooperation with ECCIL’s representative in Luang Prabang
▪ Establish a two-way communication between ECCIL’s headquarter in Vientiane and the Luang Prabang representative office
Qualification and Experiences of the candidate
▪ Bachelor or Master Degree in Business/Economics, Tourism or Hospitality Management or practical work experience in a professional hotel or tourism company
▪ At least 3 years’ professional experience in a business-related environment or comparable position
▪ Front or Back Office Management in a Hotel or Tourism Company
▪ Event organisation and management experience at a Hotel or Tourism Company
▪ Office administration, including preparation of reports, activity/event budgets, event related contracts
Other knowledge, additional competences
▪ Computer skills, such as maintaining an excel database (contact management)
▪ Proficient in WordPress and Microsoft Office appliances like word, excel, outlook
▪ Online Content Management and social media
▪ Fluent in Lao (speaking, understanding, official letter and report writing)
▪ Fluent in English (speaking, understanding and especially writing)
▪ Able to work independently
▪ strong communication skills
▪ Communicative and outgoing/pro-active attitude
▪ Networking skill with the private and public sectors in Luang Prabang
Interested candidates are asked to send/submit their application with a comprehensive CV including at least 3 reliable references and cover letter explaining their motivation as well as how their experience meets the requirements latest by 16:30 Hr on 24th of August 2018 to the HR Division of GIZ Office Vientiane, P.O. Box 9233, Vientiane Capital, or e-mail to [email protected]
All applications will be treated confidentially and only short-listed candidates will be notified.