The European Chamber of Commerce & Industry in Lao PDR (ECCIL) and the Luang Prabang Hospitality Working Group has organised a follow-up meeting on the recent seminar on Safety Regulations for Riverboat Operators, in order to take the next step towards a productive discussion with the local authorities in Luang Prabang yesterday, May 29th 2019 from 9AM to 12PM at the Luang Prabang View Hotel.
The meeting has covered the following topics:
* Regulations on first aid box, fire extinguishers, life jackets and life buoys on board and minimum crew on board.
* Update of legal documents (passenger insurance/boat driving licence/boat technical control)
* Basic checklist procedure before each departure (engine and electricity)
* Regulations and habits on navigation (speed, size of the boat, rocks).
* Boat em/disembarkation issues
* Environmental issues (garbage on the river, engine pollution and noise, reduction of plastic use)
* Traffic on the river
* Update on water level in cooperation with Mekong River commission
(no issues so far since last 3 years).
* Pak Ou caves dangerous access
* Jetski issues
* Any issues with Sunset tours
* Kayak tours and also the stakeholders’ roles for the community (our approaches when we visit/support a village/school).
There were approximately 30 participants who took part in this fruitful discussion who actively contributed by sharing their individual views and experience on the mentioned topics.