The International Trade Centre (ITC) is looking for a consultant toto provide support in the establishment and implementation of a T4SD Hub in Laos. Please see the job description below:
Project title: T4SD Hub Laos
Assignment title: T4SD Hub Lead Laos
Duty station: Home based with travel
The International Trade Centre (ITC) is a joint agency of the United Nations and the World Trade Organization supporting the internationalization of SMEs. Its joint mandate combines a focus on expanding trade opportunities with the aim of fostering sustainable development.
The Trade for Sustainable Development (T4SD) Programme is seeking an International Consultant to provide support in the establishment and implementation of a T4SD Hub in Laos.
The ITC aims with the T4SD Hubs concept to provide integrated solutions to SMEs in the implementation of green business practices. Hosted by local institutions (such as a trade and investment support institutions (TISIs)), the Hubs act as one-stop shops for SMEs to build green business strategies to access green finance and international markets for sustainable products. The hub will offer technical assistance and coaching services to its beneficiaries in relation to , the ITC Sustainability Map and voluntary sustainability standards, climate resilience approaches (climate change adaptation and mitigation), positioning sustainable products in the international market, accessing green finance and markets for sustainable products and opportunities for local SME staff to participate in a T4SD international master class with participating universities and business schools. The hubs will initially be implemented in Kenya, Ghana, Peru, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Each hub workplan will last approximately 24 months after which the local host will be expected to carry on with most of the above-referenced activities to ensure long-term sustainability.
Description of Duties/Responsibilities
The Consultant will work under the direct guidance of the Head of the T4SD Programme in the Sustainable and Inclusive Value Chains section in ITC and will undertake the following duties:
Coordination of T4SD Hubs project activities in Laos
Establishment of the T4SD Hub in Laos with a local TISI and identification of key hub collaborators:
- o Support of the selection process of a suitable local host (e.g., TISI and/or other local institution).
- o Facilate the process of signing a Memorandum of Understanding between ITC and the local institution to become the official host of the T4SD Hub host in Laos.
- o Plan and coordinate the short- and long-term integration of the T4SD Hub into the local institution’s work streams and strategies.
Facilitate the customization of the global offering of the hubs, coaching and materials to the Laos context:
- o Support the implementation of a stakeholder/SME needs analysis to properly calibrate the T4SD Hub activities in the Laos context (sectors, markets, knowledge gaps, etc.).
- o Review the suitability of global materials for the Laos context and local beneficiary SMEs.
- o Arrange the identification of local technical experts/partners to further support Hub beneficiaries in Laos on selected topics, as required.
Coordinate Hub activities with its beneficiaries:
- o Support the local TISI in the identification and selection process of local SMEs to benefit from T4SD Hub offering.
- o Coordinate the preparation and implementation of project related workshops and events, which cover the 5 modules of the T4SD Hub.
Project reporting and feedback/recalibration:
- o Prepare monthly activity reports for ITC internal reporting as well as to external stakeholders.
- o Provide timely feedback and advice to T4SD Programme at ITC Geneva in terms of the relevance, uptake and interest of the materials covered by the T4SD intervention to ensure that workplan and activities are properly targeted and use of resources (human and financial) are maximized for the given context.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the development of online surveys
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and to solve problems
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Excellent communication, diplomatic, presentation skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
☒ Undergraduate degree (BA/BSC or other)
☐ Advanced degree (MA/MSc or other)
☐ Post-graduate degree (PhD or other)
☐ Secondary school
Indicate the field of studies:
Agriculture, economics, trade, international relations, business administration, geography, corporate sustainability, or related field.
Experience required (number of years in which area)
At least ten years of relevant professional experience with international organizations or technical assistance providers. Experience in working in the areas of technical assistance supporting SMEs to transition to a green economy or other work related to promoting a green economy would be an asset.
Fluency in English, local language skills would be an asset.
Please submit your application to Regina Taimasova ([email protected]) by 31st December 2018.
Selected candidates must submit their application to the Consultants Roster: http://www.intracen.org/itc/about/working-with-itc/itc-careers/current-job-openings/